If you are continuously struggling with the same issues day-after-day, week-after-week, maybe it is time for a change. If you want to progress your career, or your life, maybe a NLP training course is right for you.
What is NLP?
Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) is a set of models of how communication impacts and is impacted by subjective experience. In addition to being an agent for change, NLP is also used in psychotherapy treatments for problems as diverse as phobias and schizophrenia. NLP also aims at transforming corporations, showing them how to accomplish their maximum potential and achieve great success.
Creators of NLP
Co-created by Richard Bandler and linguist John Grinder in the 1970s, the initial focus was to discover what made three psychotherapists, gestalt therapist Fritz Perls, family therapist Virginia Satir and founding president of the American Society for Clinical Hypnosis, Milton H. Erickson, more successful than their peers.
Timeline of NLP
- 1970: Founding and early development
- 1972: Research of Fritz Perls, Virginia Satir and Milton H. Erickson begins.
- 1975: Subsequently Structure of Magic Series published
- 1976-77: Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson published
- 1979: Frogs into Princes: Neuro Linguistic Programming published
- 1980: Neuro-Linguistic Programming: Volume I published
- 1980: Bandler and Grinder go their separate ways
- 1981: The first of many intellectual property lawsuits begin. NLP Training courses begin to be developed by many individuals. Given the diversity of developers and trainers, there is no single definitive system of NLP.
- 1982-87: Grinder and Judith DeLozier collaborated to develop the New Code of NLP.
- 1984-87: Research reviews in experimental counseling psychology by the United States National Research Council gave NLP an overall negative assessment marking a decrease in NLP research interest
- 1988-89: Bandler developments Design Human Engineering (TM) and later Neuro-Hypnotic Repatterning (TM)
- 1990s: In the UK and other countries certification of NLP courses and providers begins
- 1996-97: Bandler files suit against Grinder claiming trademark infringement and intellectual property ownership of NLP.
Where the co-creators are now
The end of 2000 achieved a settlement between Bandler and Grinder when they agreed, "they are the co-creators and co-founders of the technology of Neuro-linguistic Programming."
Richard Bandler is currently with the Society of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (TM) and John Grinder can be found at The International Trainers Academy of Neuro-Linguistic Programming.
NLP continues to be an open field of training with different trainers and practitioners developing their own methods and concepts. One common thread in NLP is the emphasis on teaching a variety of communication and persuasion skills, and using self-hypnosis to motivate and change oneself. With numerous NLP practitioners advertising on the Internet today, many of their standards and quality of courses may differ. When performing a search for a NLP Training course make sure to choose an organization with a good reputation.
The best way to ensure a NLP organization is reputable is to conduct research. There are many articles, forums and NLP training blogs to unforgettable information and reviews concerning courses and trainers.